I saw this fantastic article today. I think this is a pledge we can all support.
I will on reprint part of it go to the link to read it’s entirety.
- We will not make laws that affect your medical care and rights to govern your own body. We will cover your prescriptions in health insurance and treat you with respect when you come to the pharmacy to fill your prescriptions. We will not turn you away or humiliate you.
- We will include you in medical research to see if our biological differences result in different health outcomes, just like researchers found that males and females suffer differently in heart attacks.
- We won’t consider you freakish for being single or childless. Your choices will be respected. We can’t all be married with 2.2 children, a house and a dog.
- We will ask that you take more responsibility for reproductive choices. You will ask if our health insurance plans cover the pill, and be willing to get a vasectomy — so much easier and cheaper than a tubal ligation. You will also be willing to accompany us on an abortion, if needed. Just going to a family planning clinic can be dangerous.
- We will not blame you for causing divorce, gaining profits from divorce, marrying for money, being a bad single parent, or smoking around children or pregnant women. We must find the roots of problems and work on potential solutions together.
- We will not have scientists, educators or philosophers find reasons for your supposed inferiority. We will not abuse our public role to insult you like Socrates, Freud, John Belushi, Bobby Riggs, Lawrence Summers, et al have done. We will seek answers, not justifications.
- We won’t spend a fortune on marketing that targets you and then turn around and call you materialistic. We won’t blame you for being consumers because you take on the majority of shopping responsibilities. And we won’t use insulting, derogatory ads that, in fact, target you as the buyer.
- We will represent you and give you a voice in all forms of media — newspapers, radio and TV. We will include you in history and represent you fairly in textbooks and other written material. We won’t deny or belittle your contributions.
We will name our streets, parks, and town squares after both men and women. We will erect statues and monuments that represent both sexes fairly.
- We will hire you in elected offices because we value your contribution and seek to represent all the diverse views of society, not because “we’re ready.”