Seems there is a meme going around with people making conform or else lists.
Never being one who enjoyed being dictated to, I’ve decided to counteract that meme. Join in if you wish!
1) My blog is my space and will be decorated and re-decorated to suit my tastes and reflect my interests, passions, and needs. If you don’t like the colours, layout whatever…go decorate your own blog.
2) I write to what interests, inspires, angers or moves me. Not everyone will share those impressions. But I am writing from my experience not yours.
3) I like techie things. I like the feature galleries, and video embedding etc. My last template was pretty slick that way. Unfortunately some people are dealing with older computers that no likie that. So I downsized my techie. Still sad 🙁 but I do love this template too.
4) My topics, and lately it seems to be the same one or two, won’t appeal to everyone. I’m not trying to garner mushy middle readers. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality. – Bishop Desmond Tutu
5) I am not a grammarian–again with the rules. If you are focusing on editing instead of reading you probably aren’t interested in what you are reading anyway.
6) I’ve set this blog up with different areas for different subjects, an Activism area and a couple of ads for BnR affiliated sites. Likely no one reads the extra areas but some things I do as much for me as anything. 🙂
7) Me, me, me. Of course there is a lot of me in my blog. Were you expecting someone else? 8)
8 ) I don’t have the time to write to every news story or political development. I also run two aggregators, a board, a board blog, write to Birth Pangs on occasion, am trying to start a business and in my spare time have a house to run and kids to care for. I don’t have time for the multi post type blog. And I refuse to do partisan politics. My emphasis is on rights and freedoms and caring for the environment. None of the parties are impressing me with their commitment to same.
9) I used to have as an avatar on the board a quote by Maggie Kuhn; “Stand before the people you fear and speak your mind — even if your voice shakes.” I see blogging as way to speak my mind, to take back power, to allow more than the pre-packaged pablum much of the main stream media has become to filter through. My voice (writing) may shake, but I will speak my mind.
10) If you don’t read my blog it probably won’t affect either one of us greatly. I won’t stop writing, you may not start reading. But it is in the act of allowing each of us our space, our way of doing things. Our unique gifts, talents and expressions, that we embody the best that can be said of any culture; “Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too.” Voltaire